« Home | Oragel in Otaru » | Shogatsu in Sapporo » | Waseda Waseda Waseda » | Blogger Virgin No More »

Magnificent Miyajima

Many people who travel to Japan only visit Tokyo. This is unfortunate because Japan is much more than just Tokyo.
During my spring break, I decided to escape from the urban jungle of Tokyo and explore west of Tokyo with one of my friends from school. The first place we visited during our spring break adventure was Miyajima. Also known as Itsuku-shima, Miyajima is one of Japan's 3 best views. The picture on the left is Miyajima's famous floating Shinto shrine Gate.

In order to get to Miyajima, we had to take a ferry there. One of the first things I noticed when I got to the island was that there are a lot of deer just hanging out all over the place. After hanging out with the deer for a few minutes, we made our way to the ryokan(Japanese hotel) that we reserved. The ryokan was about 150 dollars a night, which is actually a good deal considering that during peak seasons, the cost jumps to around 300 dollars a night. However, the cost is well worth it for the excellent service that they provide and the awesome dinner that is included in the price.

The ryokan in Miyajima is one of my best memories in Japan and I recommend anyone who comes to Japan to try a really nice Ryokan at least once before you leave. Trust me, you will have an awesome experience.